Monday, December 28, 2009

"And so this is Christmas..."

Yeah, you may recognize that line from John Lennon's Christmas song not only if you're old enough like me, but also because they play it like crazy on the radio during the Christmas Holiday season. It's also one of those classics that I could listen to over and over and over again. Why? Because of the end of that one line that completes it: "And so this is Christmas and what have you done?"
That one line without fail triggers reflection on my part on just what I have or have not done during the year that is quickly fading into the past.
I've managed to do a lot this year, including having incredible luck with one book published and three more for the upcoming year as well as incessant promotion and publicity for them (read=interviews, interviews, interviews, and book reviews).
On my various Yahoo Groups (OK, I promised AlleyPat I'd mention hers--WritingandPublishing--) authors look at this time as an opportunity to set goals for the coming year. I rarely do this myself--being of Gypsy descent and being of Gypsy descent and working in Hollywood, I am doubly superstitious about talking about projects before completion but I must confess here that I do love reading all the wonderful resolutions of other authors which are invariably creative and practical (and useful in giving me ideas as to what to shoot for in 2010)!
Some are simple: finishing that unpublished book; polishing a completed manuscript and submitting it; and a few who, bless their little hearts I know exactly what they go through, just want to be brave enough to let someone read their work! Babies, its taken me over 40 years to be able to get to and past that point, I so feel for ya'!
Others get a bit more detailed: getting more writing work whether editing, article writing, launching magazines--something to which I could never aspire--or merely learning enough tech to set up a new website as I plan.
Some people never make resolutions for the simple reason they always break them. Some people make them and are successful at each one on their list. And then there are those who manage to keep at least one regardless of its scope and importance in their lives.
To all those brave souls who do not fear posting their plans, I salute you. I also thank you for listing things I should be doing but can't dredge them from my protesting brain--you give me that little bit of impetus that hopefully will push me over the top in getting things done!
Plus, it's just so much fun sharing in others' hopes and dreams and realizing that most of theirs are mine as well.
So, here's to 2010, babies!
To quote John,
"Let's hope its a good one..."

The Egypsy has spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment